Friday, May 18, 2007

Now reading (May '07)

  • Still reading my way through David Weber's Honorverse. Last time I was on Field of Dishonor (fourth in the series), since then I've read the next seven books in the main series (Flag in Exile, Honor Among Enemies, In Enemy Hands, Echoes of Honor, Ashes of Victory, War of Honor and At All Costs), the Shadow of Saganami spin-off/tie-in, and the anthology Changer of Worlds. Currently reading the anthology Worlds of Honor, and The Service of the Sword is waiting for me at the library. Only one more anthology and then I've run out of books (haven't decided if I'm going to read the spin-off Crown of Slaves yet).
  • What, that's not enough? Okay, also read the fantastic first volume of All-Star Superman, the decent Green Lantern: Rebirth and the disappointing (and unwieldy titled) Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes: Adult Education.
  • ASS (heh) was just great, even despite the Frank Quitely art. Grant Morrison writes Superman with a brilliant Silver Age sensibility with the intelligence of more modern tales.
  • GL:R I probably would've reviewed more strongly but for two things: I'd skimmed it in the store so it held few surprises, and the main antagonist is a yellow fear demon from before the dawn of time who is named for the apparent motion of an object due to the motion of an observer, and that's kind of silly.
  • SatLoSH:AE (see? it's even unwieldy like that) was in the middle of a story-arc, and it felt that way. I think most of my disappointment with the book was knowing that the artist, Barry Kitson, is moving to Marvel (another comics publisher for those who aren't comic book people) and the writer is leaving the title because of that, so many of these plotPublish Post threads won't be resolved.
What're you reading?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

moon phase